It is O-ver for Bill O’Reilly.
Executives at Fox News Channel axed the popular host Wednesday following an avalanche of sexual harassment, abuse and racial discrimination allegations from former female co-workers.
O’Reilly, 67, who’s currently on vacation in Italy, was set to return to the show on April 24.
"After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning the Fox News Channel," a 21st Century Fox officials said in a statement.
The situation was spurred by revelations in the New York Times that he and Fox News had quietly paid out $13 million in hush money to five women who had accused him of abuse and harassment.
O’Reilly was then abandoned by more than half of his advertisers. Now, Fox News is believed to be on the hook for at least $40 million to pay off O’Reilly’s most recent contract — signed only a few months ago — that is understood to be worth about $20 million a year, according to sources.
The controversial and frequently condescending "O’Reilly Factor" host also came under fire by former Fox News guest Wendy Walsh who alleged during an early April press conference that "The O’Reilly Factor" host propositioned her at a Los Angeles hotel bar more than four years ago. Walsh said that after she refused, O’Reilly retaliated by taking an offer for a contributor job off the table.
Her charge prompted an investigation at Fox by Paul, Weiss, the same law firm that led an internal investigation last summer into sexual harassment allegations against former Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes.
The investigation led to Ailes’ resignation.
Bill O’Reilly has served as the host of Fox News Channel’s "The O’Reilly Factor" since the late 1990s.
To make matters worse for O’Reilly, a new accuser also came forward this week.
The African-American worker, whose desk was near O’Reilly’s office at Fox News headquarters, claimed that O’Reilly referred to her as "hot chocolate" and made unwanted advances, her attorney Lisa Bloom told The Hollywood Reporter.
"He would never talk to her, not even hello, except to grunt at her like a wild boar," Bloom charged. "He would always do this when no one else was around and she was scared."
Bloom, who also represents Walsh, took a victory lap on Twitter.
"This is what happens when women speak our truth: we can slay dragons," she wrote. "I am very proud to have stood with my brave clients who stood up for themselves and all the silenced women. Wendy Walsh is the very definition of courage. My anonymous accuser was equally brave in callin in her report to Fox News. And my third accuser, Caroline Heldman, just called in her complaint to the Fox News hotline today.
"Fox News should have fired him (O’Reilly) in 2004 when the first complaint was made,, but at least they did now. They did it because we persisted."
Bloom’s second client, the unidentified woman, says the harassment occurred in 2008 while she worked at Fox, claimed she was afraid of being fired if she reported O’Reilly.
A lawyer for O’Reilly maintains that the latest accusations are part of "brutal campaign of character assassination."
Protesters stand outside Fox News Headquarters on Tuesday calling on the network to fire Bill O’Reilly.
On Tuesday a crowd of around 50 protesters demonstrated at Fox’s New York headquarters in New York demanding O’Reilly be fired.
The women’s advocacy group UltraViolet posted posters around the Rockefeller Center building with a photo of O’Reilly and the question, "Have you also been sexually harassed by Bill?"
O’Reilly has long been a favorite of Fox News founder Rupert Murdoch but his sons, James and Lachlan Murdoch, now top executives at Fox News parent, 21st Century Fox, had been pushing to dump the talk show host.
The pair, who have been trying to steer Fox News away from its toxic workplace history, were instrumental in convincing the elder Murdoch to ditch Ailes last summer and until today had fought their father’s efforts to keep O’Reilly.
The allegations that undermined O’Reilly’s career at Fox News were far from the first time the talk show host came under fire.
In 2004, the Smoking Gun website published the salacious text of a sexual harassment complaint against O’Reilly filed by Andrea Mackris, who was then an associate producer at Fox News.
That lawsuit, which was settled in 2004 for $9 million included a recording of O’Reilly trying to entice Mackris into having phone sex by saying he would rub her down with a "falafel" — although he had meant to use the word "loofah."
O’Reilly also weathered several disturbing revelations stemming from his 2010 split from his wife Maureen McPhilmy. During the custody lawsuit, O’Reilly’s daughter testified that she had seen O’Reilly choke her mother and drag her down the stairs.
NYC, meet us at 1:30 outside of Fox HQ on 47th and 6th today and demand they #DropOReilly! #NotYourHotChocolate pic.twitter.com/m21vdoVenn
— ColorOfChange.org (@ColorOfChange) April 19, 2017
In 2016, a panel of three appellate justices unanimously granted McPhilmy residential custody of the couple’s two children. O’Reilly responded by suing McPhilmy for $10 million on the grounds that she had fraudulently induced him into agreeing to a consensual divorce.
That suit claimed that O’Reilly had been led to "finance an existing extra-marital relationship."
Specifics of the case remain unclear, because the judge overseeing the lawsuit granted O’Reilly’s request seal the docket.
He later was awarded a judgment against McPhilmy for $14.5 million.
O’Reilly followed up the win by suing McPhilmy’s divorce lawyer, Michael Klar, for $10 million on similar grounds.
Klar has moved to dismiss the suit and to provide evidence for his motion, asked the court to let him submit nearly 1,000 pages of sealed documents from O’Reilly’s divorce, making the records publicly available.
O’Reilly’s attorneys are fighting the move.